Simple Comp

jan1

I must have an evening of brain block. Super simple scenario from a commercial I brought in from Avid. It has a small logo overlay as PNG on an upper layer. Came across fine and has proper alpha channel. But I can't figure out how to make it combine with the lower tracks. 

I know it can be done with the Comp3D effect, but that's overkill and too much to setup. I know there has to be an effect added that combines the nodes in the node/eval tree. But I can't find any simple merge two nodes and honor the alpha of one of them. The Booleans work, but it's the wrong operation. It's probably one of the keyer effects. Tried a few of them but couldn't get the right setup.

Sorry for asking such simple question...

• Like 1

Hi Jan!

In Mistika there are two different things to take into account when working with the stacks. The effects are set on top of any clip, and the evaluation range selects what is being affected. However, when we work with different layers of footage (video or image files) the one in the top is number 1, the layer below is number 2, and so on. That's why when working with overlays or different video layers, we have to locate below them what we want to compose as the foreground layer. 

Now, as you said, there are multiple ways to achieve the thing you are asking. However, I'll explain briefly the two easiest ways with the Comp3D effect: 

1. First of all, set your logo above your conformed timeline. Then, set a Comp3D effect on top of your clips. Now select them and lock them with L shortcut, or right-click and choose Lock. Now you can move the evaluation range of everyone until you embrace the logo. Done! Here is an explanatory screenshot I've done with a regular workflow:

image.thumb.png.150c3c531a4e651309f1158d07025fd4.png

2. Make a group with your conformed timeline. Now,  set your logo below your group. Set a Comp3D effect on top of your group. Move the evaluation range until it embraces the logo. Done! Besides, you can set any effect you want on your logo, for example, a framing, then you will be able to scale it or move it wherever you want. Personally, I prefer this way. I use a lot the groups in Mistika because with this workflow I can go inside the group and make any change I want and then go out and work the different settings, like the logo or another color grade or whatever. The groups are timesavers. Here it is an explanatory screenshot:

image.thumb.png.9d2fc6cf65f8887a16910b2ba2942955.png

You can check if the alfa of your logo is correct in the options tab within the visual editor. There you can choose what channel to see. If the alpha is correct, it will be shown as a black and white image:

image.thumb.png.c34c85b22bf49f73e144d18e88300bfc.png

However, bear in mind that the Comp3D effect, which is the master compositing effect in Mistika, needs the layers to be created manually. With simple compositings like this, you don't need to do it, but if you have 3 or more, you will have to do create as much layers in the effect as set on your stacks. Just go in the visual editor to layer > add layer. 

Also, bear in mind that the Comp3D compose with alfas too. If you have an alfa channel created on your clip, you can take it out with a clear alpha effect. Therefore there won't be a conflict between the alfa of your clip and the alfa of the png.

Hope it help! ?

Cheers,

Cristóbal 

• Like 2

Hi Jan

If you try to comp in mistika you should know its abit opposite to what you are used to

they way tracks work in comp is from bottom to top

meaning you should put the background layer at the top and below that put the PNG logo.

lalso both layers and add com3d fx. it should cover both with its scope.

know in the comp 3d you should go to the background tab and chance from solid to input1.

know the layer 1 in the comp3d fx is your logo and any manipulation you make will effect only that layer.

you can change the opacity and blend mode as well to all other complexed params.

hope it helps.

cheers Yoav

comp3d.png

• Like 2

Thank you Cristobal & Yoav for the explanations. That makes more sense now. It was indeed a bit confusing to have to put the overlay at the bottom of the stack, especially since it comes in on top during the conform. I got it to work.

• Like 1

Remember you can also step int the node editor a quickly swap the Comp3D inputs by click and raging out the Input1 connector out of the Comp3D node, and drag it back in without releasing it. Quick way of making your default conform layering work.

Edited by Aurora Films
  • Like 1

There is a 'workaround' if you want to make a 'comp' that you just put on top of a stack to key something over the top, like a graphic or a title with an alpha channel. I use this a lot for things like subtitles where I want them all at the top of a stack without having to have clips/nodes top and bottom of the stack. The trick is to create a 'dummy' comp. This is achieved by using a comp3d node and then add two dummy clip inputs. These are found in the FX tab in the 'compose' section on the left hand side. The dummy clips are numbered to represent the inputs, so if you have a comp3d node with a dummy2 directly below it and a dummy1 directly below that (dummy 2 has to be above dummy 1 to keep the input order correect) then you have created a 'traditional' style stack. If you then group that stack using the group function in the edit tab under 'commands', this is when the magic happens and that group becomes 'huggable' with an adjustable scope - so you can now put that new node you created at the top of your stack with whatever you want to key directly below that and then adjust the scope (hug) of the node down to the top of your master stack and hey presto, you have an element keyed over the top is a traditional style. You can adjust all the key setting in the comp3d within the dummy group you have made for things like sizing or combine mode if you don't have or want to use an alpha channel etc. This means you can set up a single node that you can key titles with and add a drop shadow etc etc. (Please SGO add a drop shadow option to the title node!!!)

Hopefully that makes sense? It sounds confusing but is actually really simple and allows you to do simple comps and layers in a more traditional style and keep those comps on an easy layer to hide should you want to make textless versions of things etc etc.

dummy group build.png

dummy group.png

comp.png

• Like 1