H264: Media Write Error

Hello, I launched Workflows for the first time today attempting to convert a ProRes to H.264 and upload to Frame.io.

But whenever I would start the queue, the render would fail with a "Media Write Error." Screen grab attached. I got the same error with the H.265 encoder and the NVidia H.264 Encoder nodes.

I checked to make sure I had free hard drive space, and even tried putting the base ProResHQ file in a few different places on my computer to make sure it was not a permissions issue.

Sometimes when I checked the H.264 node, it was showing fps of 0.00. When I did "reload metadata," the fields would populate, but it would show up as a weird (and different fps each time, like 23.57 or 23.66). I could manually type in 23.98, but the render would still fail. Also, it's hard to type the .98 in the frame field because the "0" zeros persist, and need to be forward deleted manually to enter your own number.

Workflows is writing a file, because I see the .mp4 file populate next to my ProRes in Windows Explorer, and I can open the file, but it only plays the first few seconds of a 5 minute video. So the render is happening, it's just failing midway through.

Also, the frame.io integration is super cool, but is it possible to have Mistika Workflows permanently store a developer token? LIke we can sign in to our frame.io account in the Mistika Workflows preferences?

Right now it seems you need to enter the token each time you create a frame.io node. And we need to sign in to frame.io via the web to get a token, so it would not actually save time to have a frame.io node in Workflows if we need to sign in each time.

I'm using Windows 10 (latest updates), Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), i7-6950K.

Also, +1 to feature request for easier to understand H.264 preset names. Big request for VBR 2-pass. Just looking for a preset for highest quality Vimeo / frame.io.

Capture.JPG

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for your feedback! It's much appreciated. We already are working on the fix for h264& h265. It seems ProRes is involved. As soon as we post a new version with the fix, we will send an email notification for all the users. I'll try to get info about the frame.io questions and back here asap!

Best Regards

.ro

On 7/14/2019 at 5:59 PM, Jeff Sousa said:

Also, the frame.io integration is super cool, but is it possible to have Mistika Workflows permanently store a developer token? LIke we can sign in to our frame.io account in the Mistika Workflows preferences?

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. we are fixing that, and in the next Beta installer it will be configurable in the Files->Preferences->frame.io section (At the moment, the section exists, but it is empty. we need to fix that)

about transcoding metadata/GUI and bug fixing, we are working on a big revamp of that aspect of the software, we will not close the Beta phase of the product until we do it, but it will take some time. you may need to wait few betas before you see the final development of that part

thanks again for the feedback!

OK, understood. Glad in reporting actual bugs and I'm not misusing Workflows. Looking forward to checking in later in the Beta. If you could also check DNxHR > H.264 works, that'd be great. 

2 more thoughts. There is no node to resize resolution, right? Like if I have a master ProRes that's 4K and want to make HD H.264. Or do I just change the parameters in H.264 node to be 1920x1080?

Also, is there a hook to export directly from Boutique into Workflows? Like how in Premiere you can either export your sequence from Premiere directly, or send the job to Media Encoder?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...