Tangent Wave 2 Support and Tangent remap options

agonzalez@sgo.es

Finally had a chance to try the revamped mapping (with printer lights) as well as Tangent's Mapper Beta with "alt-lock." Printer lights work great. But alt-lock not so great. I can double-tap Alt to enter alternate mode, but then I'm stuck there. I was hoping single pressing Alt would "quit" alt mode but it doesn't. And double-tapping alt doesn't escape either. Anyone else seeing this issue?

I'm also experiencing an issue where I am in the primaries mode, press bands on the tangent, and the interface switches to bands but the Tangent snaps back to primaries. So I'm looking at bands in Mistika, moving the balls, and nothing is happening. When I look down to the Wave2, I see I somehow have reverted to Primaries there.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

We released last week a new version of Mistika Boutique, with tones of bugs fixed, more stability, and an updated mapping for tangent panels with the new functionalities mapped. Since we've discussing in this thread the mapping for the Wave2, I think it would be worth it to write you a report of the new functions and changes I made. I considered your feedback when designing it, but of course, there's always room for improvement. Let me know your thoughts, please.

Here it is.

As a general approach, I decided to add more functions introducing second or third banks in the Buttons and the Knobs of the panel. You can switch between the different banks in the up and down arrows:

image.thumb.png.178d563ca416cb5f92835245cac69d9e.png

However, we have to take into account that the Trackballs do not support for second banks. Therefore, the new functions of the Trackballs had to be mapped into the Alternative. 

Now, having said that, I'll list the changes mode by mode:

1. Primaries mode:

- 2nd Bt bank with Printer lights options in the Standard and Alternative bank. Unfortunately, there was no room for the "1 point" button of the Printer lights. 

- 2nd Kb bank with Temperature, Tint, and Pivots. 

image.png.cb154d23da9cf901cb54c270d13c7342.png

- Offset and Contrast trackballs mapped into the Alternative of the Trackballs. Jeff tested it in his own, and those did not work for him. It would awesome if someone else could test that so we can see in there's something wrong with it. Thanks a lot in advanced. 

image.png.cfdc329f49c5a12b3054aa2f2a15f115.png

2. Bands mode:

- 2nd Bt bank with All Hue, All sat, All contrast and the Ranges controlers.

-2nd Kb bank with Reset All, Reset Ranges, Trackball and Slider modes.

image.png.0bc4509ad6711d45751dbba8c0673b5e.png

3. Fixed vector mode:

- 1rst Kb bank with the RGB functions.

- 2nd Kb bank with the CMY functions.

4. Windows mode:

- The Add/Prev/Next vector buttons are no longer there. Instead of them, you will find Line, Ellipse and Rectangle window. 

- 2nd Bt bank with Invert and Convert to Shape buttons.

- Added Softness controlers for the Shapes.

5. Curves mode:

2nd Kb bank with the X controllers of the points.

- 2nd Bt bank with: Solo Curve. Gang RGB, Luma Curve, R, G, B, Sat-Sat, Luma, Sat and Add Points.

image.png.0187755721ce0e402643cfd27972bfb6.png

- 3rd Bt bank with: Hue-Hue, Hue-Sat, Hue-Luma, Red Point, Yellow Point, Green Point, Cyan Point, Blue point and Magenta points.

- Curve points position controllers mapped also in the Track balls. 

6. Qualifier mode:

- 2nd Kb bank with: Lum Low, Lum High; Soft Low, Soft Ghigh, PrekeyBlur, Keyblur, Filter 1, Filter 1 type and K tolerantece.

- 2nd Bt bank worth: Proportional, Key invert, Addpoints, Solo Sat, Lock Sat, Reset Sat, Solo Lum Lock Lum and Reset Lum 

- Key point controlers in the Track balls. 

image.png.45833bf5c45e436bc5a37b899328b04c.png

7. Filters mode:

New mode with Blur/Sharp, Blur Blend and Sharp Blen.

I hope you like it!

I'd love to see your feedback! ?

Cheers,
Cristóbal

image.png

• Thanks 1

I had a chance to spend a day grading with the new mapping on the Wave2. I do think it's nice to be able to see the printer lights displayed in the LEDs, and to be able to access the full range of printer lights (RGBCMY) in the same bank and without needing to press ALT.

One thing that jumped out to me is I wonder if the "up" and "down" arrows should be reversed. Currently, the "up" arrow (above function keys) toggles the button banks. And the "down" arrow toggles the knobs. But actually it's the knobs that are on top (on the panel) and the buttons on bottom. So possibly the up arrow should toggle the knobs and the down arrow should toggle the buttons. 

That would help new users understand what is being toggled just by looking at the panel.

Overall the idea of using banks within Mistika's individual tools (the primary having multiple sub-banks, the bands having sub-banks), is pretty clever, and adds a lot of functionality to the relatively small Wave.

One area where I got tripped up was trying to navigate from printer lights to bands. Because printer lights is now on a sub-bank of primaries, when you are using the printer lights, you don't see the bank navigation anymore. So it's two button presses to get to bands. First you have to press the up (or was it down?) arrow to get to the home bank, then you can go to bands.

I can't think of a solution off the top of my head, but this struck me as a trade-off for having added the extra functionality.

Just curious...there's no "Offset Cyan, Offset Magenta, Offset Yellow, Cont Cyan, Cont Magenta, Cont Yellow," right? Part of me wonders if it's just cleaner to put the "printer lights" on dials for the cramped Wave2...

On 6/1/2020 at 10:23 AM, jeff@dungeonbeach.com said:

One thing that jumped out to me is I wonder if the "up" and "down" arrows should be reversed. Currently, the "up" arrow (above function keys) toggles the button banks. And the "down" arrow toggles the knobs. But actually it's the knobs that are on top (on the panel) and the buttons on bottom. So possibly the up arrow should toggle the knobs and the down arrow should toggle the buttons. 

Great idea! Now that you mention it, I also think it's better that way  ? 

One area where I got tripped up was trying to navigate from printer lights to bands. Because printer lights is now on a sub-bank of primaries, when you are using the printer lights, you don't see the bank navigation anymore. So it's two button presses to get to bands. First you have to press the up (or was it down?) arrow to get to the home bank, then you can go to bands

Indeed, the navigation between modes gets a bit more cumbersome when moving out from the Bt bank 1,the "Navigation bank" so to speak.  

I came up with this idea: How about we map in the Alternative Bank of the Up/Down arrows the buttons "Next mode"/"Previous mode". That way, you could jump between modes in quite an easy way. What do you think?

I have attached the Mapping with these two changes in the thread so you can give it a try ?

Tangent_Mapping_Wave2_NextMode_PreviousMode_v01.xml

Just curious...there's no "Offset Cyan, Offset Magenta, Offset Yellow, Cont Cyan, Cont Magenta, Cont Yellow," right? Part of me wonders if it's just cleaner to put the "printer lights" on dials for the cramped Wave2...

There's no such a thing of a Contrast Cyan in the Dial. However, if you set the Printer Lights mode on Contrast, and then with the mouse drag up the Cyan column it will act like so.

To do it with the trackballs, you set the Primaries Mode on Contrast, and then move the Gain towards cyan, and it will do the Contrast function.

In the dials for the tangent you have all these dials that are part of the Printer lights:

Normal:

image.png.65358c78aaa8564ec8658ecd762e907d.png

Alternative: 

image.png.000c9aa2f4ab0f8e2c74a2366bd3e801.png

Bests,

Cristóbal