Eval Tree visual focus

Aurora Films

I’m sure this is an easy one and I believe I have done it before.

I have a track for grading the clips and another on top doing a global adjustment. How can I keep working on my grades track while viewing the result of the top one. Right now, even if I double click the top one,  every time I go to the next clip the visual focus jumps down to the grades track.

I am aware I can have a Display Filter doing the global adjustment, but want to be able to apply that adjustment in only some sections of the cut.

Tx

A

49E78B2E-D098-471A-AF7D-487F1340CB5F.png

Traveling between clips works better in Mistika if you have one node for each clip instead of a whole node that embraces all your timeline. I'd suggest using nodes that control the whole timeline only as final touches but not within your normal workflow. 

In order to split your node as all the clips select everything and use the Macro Split Conform:

image.thumb.png.6d99ef526b6cfd3fd832ccd4fada2feb.pngI

Hence, you will be able to travel within your clips easily.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Cristóbal

There is a workaround for that, if you group the layer you want to split conform with the layer you use as the reference for the split, if you step into that group and perform the split conform it will only split what is in the group. Once done, step out of the group and ungroup it.

The group function is very useful for doing a lot of things independent from the main workspace!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Stumbled across this old thread just now.

I had also been wishing there was a way to limit the "scope" of split conform, ideally by limiting what gets split to what's selected (so your audio mix doesn't receive a million cuts, for example, when you just wanted to cut an ACED ODT effect node).

The grouping trick is great trick to keep in mind.

I've definitely learned that each clip really wants its own effect nodes, and any kind of overarching adjustment layer really messes up clip-to-clip navigation in the visual editor. That said, I'm not sure why this couldn't be otherwise. Let's say you have three clips, each with their own color grade node. Then a common grain node on top spanning all three clips. If you are in the visual editor, evaluating through the top grain (blue marker in eval tree) but modifying the color node (green marker), if you press next/prev clip, it would be nice if you would then jump to the next clip's color node, so long as its on the same track in the Timespace (while "locking" the evaluation height, as OP suggests).

This could be a situation where having multiple monitors makes this kind of navigation easier / more transparent.

But I've definitely wished I could use "one big adjustment layer" quite a few times while maintaining expected clip navigation in the visual editor. Such as when experimenting with grain, ODT configurations, or developing a 'digital stock' creative layer...wanting to keep massaging that look without constantly needing to propagate).

• Like 1

Hi Jeff!!

Indeed, when you have  "one big adjustment layer" the navigation between the different stacks can be a bit more cumbersome. However, as you mention, there are multiple ways in which you can overcome that issue.

You can have those big adjustments layers hidden, until the last process, in which you use them as final touches, and you don't really need to pay attention to them.

You can have one big group in which inside you have all the timeline, and the outside the group a couple of adjustment layers.

And of course, you can use the split conform to guarantee a smooth navigation between the shots. 

The time space in Mistika is pretty flexible, it allows to use the same tools in a lot of different ways!

Cheers,

Cristóbal 

• Like 1