Workflow for DNG Files in Multiple Folders

thashisho

I have a bunch of folders that contain DNG files sequences, typically coming out of a camera that shoots DNG raw (i.e. Sigma fp). How to use the Folder node to automate the transcoding and transfer of these sequences into single video files in a single Workflow? Is that possible? Could not find anything related to this, or does it need to be done using Python Scripts??!!

Thanks for your support.

Hi, Thashisho.

Thank you very much for reaching out and thank you for using Mistika Workflows, which is much appreciated.

I´m affraid DNG Raw is not supported in Mistika Workflows.

But, if you would like to use a Folder node to transcode any other group of sequences into single videos, you can do it in an easy way:

• Drag and drop the folder that contains your sequences into Mistika Workflows.
  • Drag and drop a task node to transcode your media. If you want to transcode your media into a ProRes files, please, drag and drop the ProRes task node.
  • Select an output directory to your transcoded media. You can do it by drag and dropping your destination folder into your ProRes task node for example.
  • If you have media in your folder that you don´t want to transcode it, you have the "include" and "exclude" options on your Folder input node. If you have in your folder, for example, R3D files and .mxf files and you only want to transcode the R3D files, please, type "*R3D" in the "include" field and "*mxf" in the "exclude" field.
  • Also, if you have Raw files or you need to do a color transform, you can use the SetColorSpace task node. Please, link the Folder input node to the SetColorSpace node and link the SetColorSpace node to the ProRes task node.
  • Open the SetColorSpace properties by clicking on this node. Select our Gammut and your gamma (Gamma REDLog3G10 and Gamut RED Wide Gammut RGB (RED) For example)
  • Add to Queue and click on play. The render starts.

I´ve attached 4 screenshots to show the steps.

Let us know if you have any more doubts.

Cheers!

Carlos

Workflow.png

Render.png

Set Gammut and Gamma.png

Include and Exclude.png

• Like 1

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it. I have no problem importing CinemaDNG RAW files inside of Mistika Workflows. Using the DNG Input mode I can import sequences of CinemaDNG that are out of my Sigma fp camera with no issues. So this is not the problem at all although I find it strange that you say that DNG RAW is not supported, it really is.

Here is the real issue (what you provided is the process I do anyways but it is cumbersome and lengthy as I have to create separate workflows for each folder containing the sequences, and as you might know, CinemaDNG format that gets created in Cameras are output in separate folders containing sequences of each shot or scene. So what I have is the following folder structure for example:

Top Folder
   A001-001 => Folder containing scene 001 DNG sequence
   A001-002 => Folder containing scene 002 DNG sequence
   A001-003 => Folder containing scene 003 DNG sequence
   etc....

I want to be able to use the Folder Node (if possible) to read from the Top Folder each scene sequence and convert that sequence to another video format (Another Question: is there any video format available in Mistika Workflows for outputting video at 444 12-bit as I find only ProRes and DNxHR outputs 444 10-bit formats only)?

I hope it is clear to you what exactly I want to achieve if possible. Basically, doing the process you suggested but for multiple sequences and not only for one sequence.

Thanks...

Tarek Hachicho

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thashisho,

Sorry for the late reply.

Of course, the most quickly workflow that you could create is working with the Watcher folder.

Please, to work with the Watcher Folder, follow these steps:

- Create a Watcher Folder in Mistika Workflows.

- Give a source folder to the Watcher Folder (You could drag and drop the folder into the Watcher folder or you could select it in the file field). This folder will receive the files or folders that you want to transcode.

- If you have different extensions on your folders, please, use the Include and exclude fields in the Watcher Folder.

- Link a set colorspace node to the watcher folder to select your ammut and Gamma.

- Link a ProRes node (or another transcode node). Set your output colorspace and give an output folder.

- Add to the queue.

- Then, copy your folders and past into your folder linked to your watcher node folder. The workflow starts.

Here you have a tutorial in which you can see how the watcher folder works from the minute 8:10:

Of course you could select another high 444 12 bits formats as Mistika JS or sequence formats as EXR.

Let us know if you have any more doubts.

Cheers!

Carlos

• Like 1