Playback Speed - Color-Grade vs Timeline

JanMaarten

Silly question, the playback speed in the timeline is a steady 25fps but if I go in the color-grade the framerate is 10fps. Is this a setting somewhere?

Project Fullhd project with 1080p prores footage on a MacPro 2019.

MistikaBoutique.10.0.0-20200623

Hi Jan!

Thanks a lot for reaching out. That's a pretty interesting question. The short answer is that the Visual Editor is optimised for the real time modifications made in the image, whilst the Timeline editor is optimised for having real time playback.

The long detailed answer is pretty well explained in this particular webinar:

Check it from minute 07:52 Why two suttles? (Timeline & Composer)

You'll see more details there :)

Cheers,

Cristóbal

• Like 2

Great insight! Thanks! This makes a lot of settings quite clear.

One more question, the 'Max Cache Memory' setting is standard on 1024MB is this GPU of system RAM?

And since I have 96GB System ram available what is the optimal ram cache amount? 

Hi Jan!

The Max Cache memory, indeed works with RAM memory. All frames that are read from disk and decode are kept here, which are the most recent frames. If the GPU needs images that were read before, they are still there, so it's not necessary for doing again the process of decoding the effects and reading the files from disk. This is specially useful when you are looping several times the same shot. The first will probably not have real time playback, but once Mistika processed it and saved the cache, you will real time playback. 

Indeed since you are a pretty powerful machine, you may increase, but I don't recommend it increasing it a lot. This value is pretty sensitive, and if you take out cache memory from the system, which cannot be used for anything else , you can run out of memory easily and probably cause a crash. I recommend increasing it step by step, maybe first time double it, and then check the performance. You may try for example a multiplayer EXR which will for sure demand a lot of the RAM memory. 

Let me know your results! :)

Cheers,

Cristóbal, 

• Like 1