Save Grad as 3D LUT

jan1

Does Mistika have the option of saving a stack as a 3D LUT to be used as a look in other software?

Workflow example: Import footage, grade to a look, export footage as EXR clip to go into other software, export 3D LUT of look, go to other software load EXR and LUT to do additional processing, save changes as EXR sequence, import EXR sequence back into Mistika.

Use case: if more extensive skin work has to be done than is efficient with the Mistika paint node, I often taken EXR sequences to SilhouetteFX. I was just working on the details of how to bring ACES graded footage out of Resolve into Silhouette that way. But it relies on the ability to save a grade as a 3D LUT. Of course a LUT cannot reproduce all grade operations, particularly spatial and temporal changes. But it can encompass all primary, band, and fixed vectors as an example.

I looked around and searched the manual and didn't find any reference that hinted on this ability to do this in Mistika.

This is more out of curiosity at the moment, not a high priority.

Edited by jan1

Hi @Yoav Raz,

Thanks, interesting. I missed that when looking around.

Not completely the same though. Export Primary LUT only exports a 1D LUT not a 3D LUT, and Export Primary to CCC exports an ASC CDL statement in XML format.

Makes it easier to get a CDL though.

Cheers,
Jan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I've done to make a 3D lut from a mistika grade is to export the LUT Test pattern from Fusion, bring it into Mistika, apply the grade, re-export it at the same resolution (198x198), load it back into Fusion (Resolve), then use the LUTCubeAnalyzer to create a Lut (ALUT3, ITX or 3DL). Then, if I need to, I use a 3rd party converter (Lightspace in my case) to convert the Lut to .cube or whatever.

It's a bit of a process, but it works.

FusionTestPattern.exr

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 8:43 PM, Mark Driver said:

It's a bit of a process, but it works.

Very interesting. A bit of processed indeed, and not sure I would do it regularly, but I like the technique. Will come in handy some day.