Keyframing with Sapphire transisions is wonky

Rakesh Malik

I set up one Sapphire transition (whiplash) between two clips, and used the "key in" and "key out" buttons to set the start and end transition amounts. That really didn't work; epic fail -- the transition amount didn't change at all throughout the transition. I switched to using autokey, and though I had to go back and forth an extra time since I couldn't find a way to get the start keyframe to work, I got that transition to work as I wanted to.

So I went to another transition point where I wanted to use a Sapphire blur transition. Absolute fail; using autokey it insists on setting the transition amount to a constant, refusing to give me any transition animation.

Adding the transition isn't working correctly either. I selected the stacks on both sides and click the effect button, it adds the effect to the lower one in the timeline, and I can see from the node graph that it isn't including the clip above, which looks like a bug. I shouldn't have to manually link them if I select both the incoming and outgoing clips.

In this screen shot the dissolve should be spanning the overlap between the two clips, but it's on the outgoing clip and doesn't include the incoming one like it should. It's easy to fix that by moving things around, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Either way though, autokey is simply not working. No matter what I do with it, I end up with the same transition amount throughout the entire transition.

The most frustrating thing is that when I turn on auto key and go to the final frame, then drag the transition amount from zero to one, the preview is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Go back to the start of the transition and drag the transition amount back to zero, and I see the same thing in reverse. Go back to the end, and the transition amount stays at zero.

Mistika.JPG

To apply a transition, I usually lasso both clips (to left and right), click on the transition. It automatically places it on top, spanning the overlap, and including everything vertically.

My license for Sapphire is not current for OFX, but if I apply an OFX transition, go to the first frame, turn on autokey, change a parameter, jumpt to the last frame, change the parameter again and then scrub, it properly interpolates. I can't see the effect since Sapphire just renders a black frame due to the expired license.

So I think it should work, there may be just something wrong in your sequence of steps?

I'll try that... though it doesn't help with the fact that keyframing isn't working.

I also just tried adding a native Mistika transition, it didn't add that correctly either... same result -- I lassoed the two overlapped clips and selected a Mistika transition, it plopped the transition on top of the outgoing clip, spanning the length of that clip, and ignoring the overlap where it's supposed to put the transition.

Interestingly... when I opened up the curve editor and THEN adjusted the keyframes with autokey turned on, it set they keyframes...

And when the incoming clip is below the outgoing clip, Mistika adds the transition the way it's supposed do.

• Like 1

Hi Rakesh and Jan!

After digging into Rakesh timeline, and then by keeping testing the Sapphire transitions, it seems that they must be set up properly in terms of inputs to work fine.

Most of transitions need only two inputs, so the stacks of effects need to be grouped so the Sapphire transition analyze only the two clips to perform the transition. Such as in the screenshot attached. The input one has to be the shot on top and the input 2 the shot below.

In order to set the keyframes, first, I activated Autokey. Then, I went to the Angle parameter, click zero, and press the enter button on the keyboard to insert the keyframe. Then, I went to the end, set 1 on the angle parameter and clicked on enter to insert the keyframe. It worked fine. 

Captura2.PNG

• Like 1

Indeed!

Transitions always work best when they have only the needed inputs. You will notice that you will have smoother workflows within Mistika when you get used to its philosophy in terms of groupings the stacks, that will always be available in the visual editor to easily access to every effect. Groups work also as timelines, that you can go inside and do whatever you want.

Also bear in mind that the Key In and Key Out are not designed for every effect. For instance, they don't work for the Sapphire effects. They are specially built for creating dynamic grades in the Primary and Bands in the Color Grade effect.

Hope you find it useful!

Best regards,
Cristóbal

• Like 1