Mocha Pro Example

jan1

Would it be possible to get a short tutorial / example on how to use Mocha Pro.

I tried a remove yesterday, and while Mocha Pro did it's job, I couldn't get the results back into Mistika. I know it's supported, but I must be doing something wrong.

I first tried it on some 4K footage, to remove a small tattoo on person's arm. It was only 15 frames. I added the footage and the Mocha effect, it loaded fine, did the remove, closed Mocha and selected 'Render=yes' and 'Module=remove' and the UI becomes very unresponsive. Monitoring system activity it's not clear if it's rendering in the background or not. Eventually I got some partial output on on some frames.

Then I tried it with a HD project, added a LUT3D and Mocha effect, as soon as I turn 'render=yes' again UI becomes very sluggish. If I open Mocha, the first frame is good, but scrubbing timeline inside Mocha only has black frames, like Mistika is too busy serving data to Mocha.

Force Quit Mistika and tried again, as soon as I change 'Render=yes', and before launching Mocha UI, if I scrub the Mistika timeline, the external display updates, but the Visual Editor picture remains frozen.

This is on a Mac / HighSierra on the latest 8.8.1 build of Mistika, and latest version of MochaPro.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 8.17.11 AM.png

Edited by jan1
added screenshot

Hi jan

I had the same behavior on linox Mistika ultima. 

Workaround was render in mocha and export dpx from mocha. And import the rendered clip. 

Make sure you save mocha project and create separate folders to the renders so you could  go beck to mocha for tweaks or changes.

Cheers Yoav.  

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, Yoav Raz said:

Workaround was render in mocha and export dpx from mocha. And import the rendered clip

Ah, well, that's always an option. But than the claim that Mocha Pro is fully supported may be a stretch ?

I've done the EXR export, work in Silhouette, render, and re-import already. That's a pretty typical workflow for me.

OK, good to know that I wasn't using it wrong... Until recently BorisFX had a similar issue with MochaPro in Resolve. The OFX implementation didn't provide sufficient access to other frames I believe. But the new 2019 release of BorisFX is supposed to fix that. I believe Resolve finally implemented the required changes to provide access via the OFX API. I'm assuming the same may be at issue with Mistika? Which means there may be hope for improvements before too long.

• Like 1

For the record, Mocha Pro doesn't work with Assimilate Scratch and if I recall the OFX version doesn't work with Flame either. Seems like MPro is picky about OFX compatibility. 

Edited by mh8
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 5:19 PM, mh8 said:

For the record, Mocha Pro doesn't work with Assimilate Scratch and if I recall the OFX version doesn't work with Flame either. Seems like MPro is picky about OFX compatibility. 

Indeed. I think it founds it origins in AfterEffects and Avid, rather than the various OFX based tools. It seems that it's a lot more complex than your average plugin.

There are supposedly some improvements coming in the new Resolve version, which may support it finally. How good it is remains to be seen.