Tracking & Cloning

Craig Harris

Hi there Craig

you basically do the tracking. 

And apply the tracking data to the paint effect  as you apply tracking to all effects  (move) the data  

Than in paint effect you clone the image and in the effect you select the paint or clone you did. Press selected shapes and then press copy tracks.

This apply the track to that shape. You should repeat selecting shapes and copy tracks for all the paint stroke  

Cheers Yoav. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 12:37 PM, Yoav Raz said:

Hi there Craig

you basically do the tracking. 

And apply the tracking data to the paint effect  as you apply tracking to all effects  (move) the data  

Than in paint effect you clone the image and in the effect you select the paint or clone you did. Press selected shapes and then press copy tracks.

This apply the track to that shape. You should repeat selecting shapes and copy tracks for all the paint stroke  

Cheers Yoav. 

Do you know how to set the clone frame to populate other frames in a shot?

I have my tracking data set up, but I'm not able to "Copy Tracks" to a clone and I can't seem to find a way to propagate a cloned frame to other frames in the same shot.

Craig

On 5/12/2019 at 10:37 AM, Yoav Raz said:

Hi Craig

There  are 4 steps i use after i clone an object and press select. 

1- double click on that shape to select it.

2- press current frame

3- press selected shape

4- copy tracks

Hope it Helps

Cheers Yoav

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 20.41.38.png

I'm not able to activate the "Edit Key" controls.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 4.38.26 PM.png

Edited by Craig Harris

Hi!

This is my workflow on how to clone and tracking for object removal in Mistika. In this case, I'll explain how to remove the logo of Gameboy Advance in this shot: 

vlcsnap-2019-05-14-10h36m09s406.thumb.jpg.d5d464b47c959f321db7cd65d2f3defe.jpg

First things first, we place a framing effect on top of our clip, and set the “Result size” parameter in “Project”, and the “Fit” parameter in “Crop to fit”, I group it and use that as the footage. Then, I copy and paste the Shot, and make a freeze frame. This tutorial explains how to freeze a frame in Mistika. Now, I extend the freeze frame the duration of my clip. For that, I use the Get Duration and Set duration tools, really handy when it comes to this kind of operation. Now that both of them has the same length, I position the clip on top of my freeze frame. Then, in my freeze frame stack, I place a Vector paint effect:

image.png.8f78afa6775465c5bad9e0f89b8520c2.png

Now, let's go inside the vector paint (click on "Paint"). Now, I erase the logo with the clone tool, it works really similar to the same one in photoshop. Then I click on: Current Frame > All shapes. Whit that operation, the cloning is reproduced in All frames: 

image.thumb.png.bc912046911f2e52495b392a9fabab17.png

Now it's time to do the tracking and compositing. To do so, I add a Comp3D that embraces the clips:

image.png.daba4445b2f00ac700e28d17e45a205a.png

Inside the Comp3D, create a new layer. Layer 1 will be the footage, and layer 2 the freeze frame. Then, I click on the footage clip inside the Eval tree and create a shape that surrounds the logo. Then, in the Tracking tab, I activate shape mode and do the tracking backward and forward.

Next step, we go inside the Comp3D, select the layer 2, and inside the tracking window, click on Appy Move:

image.thumb.png.0648106130e81b76e96e52540b784678.png

Finally, we have to get rid of the tracking and shape of the layer 1. Now, we create a shape of the area in the layer 2:

image.thumb.png.134f43fe7cb736d4ac8889d83cc7224c.png

Finally, if you click con Comp3D, you will be able to see the mask area on top of your footage. Maybe you need to reposition the layer 2. It's worth taking your time to improve the composition with softness, a better shape, rotoscoping if necessary..etc.

To sum up, these are the steps:

1. Create a freeze frame of your footage.

2. Use the vector paint to clean the area you want to get rid of.

3. Use a Comp3D and embrace the two clips.

4. Track the area with a shape in layer 1.

5. Apply the tracking on layer 2.

6. Delete the shape on layer 1.

7. Create a new shape in the freeze image, layer 2.

8. Final adjustments of position, the softness of the shape...

Hope it helped!

Cheers,
Cristóbal

• Like 3

Hi All

Cristóbal Way is very good.

I can add to that method to use the paint effect on the freez frame under the group. so basically i don't need to select all shapes and or select all frames because there is only one frame. I fins it easier for Mistika to play reel time like that.

For Craig Q the answer is yes you need to select each stroke by itself. and that's how you can copy tracks.

cheers Yoav

• Like 1

I followed the tutorial above and the examples by Yoav and Cristobal, but still have one thing that didn't work as I expected.

I was doing skin cleanup with the clone brush on a face. I needed a total of 5 shapes. I also did the motion tracking with one point in the tracking tab of the vector paint effect.

The problem I ran into is if I do 'Current Frame' and 'Selected Shapes' the 'Copy Tracks' button remains grayed out. After some experimentation I found that this only works if I select one shape at a time. Then it's perfect. But if you have quite a few shapes that is extra work. Is it a bug or is there a reason why a track cannot be applied to multiple shapes in one operation?

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 7.39.46 PM.png

Hi Jan 

I’m afraid it’s not a bug. 

This is how it works. 

Each shape should be selected and pasted. 

When you select a shape and it already has a tracking data pasted you will see green rectangles on the little timeline this indicates that the tracking data is pasted. 

Cheers Yoav. 

• Like 1