Storyboard Questions

Aurora Films

Is there a away of:

1 - Having the Display Filters "GUI" option affect the Storyboard icons as well. 

2 - Maximize the Storyboard (or the Visual Monitor image) to fill the display screen.

3 - Having the Jog action in the Tangent panel to continue to the previous or next clips as we keep spring it forward or backwards.

4 - Have an option to get the Icons updated with the playhead position when the control panel Jog action is used... using Tangent in this case. The Icon will only update with the mouse click, but not with the panel Jog ring.

Cheers!

Abel 

Hi Abel!

First of all, you have this list of tutorials focus on the storyboard of Boutique. Check it out for more information! ?

Now let's proceed to answer your questions.

1 - Having the Display Filters "GUI" option affect the Storyboard icons as well. 

I'm afraid that's not possible. Only the effects such as framing, color grades, crops, and even OFX plugins can be reproduced in the storyboard. We can upload it as a feature request if you would like to!

2 - Maximize the Storyboard (or the Visual Monitor image) to fill the display screen.

In the storyboard, you can click on Full, and it will be reproduced as the screenshot above. With the zoom you buttons you have 4 options for the scaling display. Some people prefer to work with this setup in order to switch quickly between shots. It is useful as long as you have an external monitor to see the changes you are doing in the color grade or another effect. 

capturastoryboard.thumb.png.5fb60ddda4404d81b2b67eb920bd1412.png

3 - Having the Jog action in the Tangent panel to continue to the previous or next clips as we keep spring it forward or backwards.

It depends on the Tangent Panel you are using right now. Currently, I am working with the Tangent Arc and I can switch between clips quickly with the "Prev Edit" and "Next Edit" buttons, also I can go the selected one with "Center Current". What Tangent panels are you using right now? Check if you have these options in your tangents. If not, we are currently developing a feature that will provide the user with the possibility to map at his or her will the tangent buttons. It will be totally customizable since you will be able to even map a shortcut into a button. 

4 - Have an option to get the Icons updated with the playhead position when the control panel Jog action is used... using Tangent in this case. The Icon will only update with the mouse click, but not with the panel Jog ring.

Indeed, the playhead update in the storyboard is not contemplated to be used in then tangent jog. The reason of this is in order to not overload the system. However, we will consider implementing it to the software. 

I hope it helped!

Keep posting with your doubts. We are more than happy to help.

Cheers!

Cristóbal 

Thanks so much for always been there to answer any questions.

1- Yes consider this a feature request. 

3 - Yes I’m aware of the Full option of the storyboard. I guess I’m thinking more of an actual full screen as in hiding the parameters bellow. I guess the same thing applies to the actual monitor itself. For those of us without an AJA card ( or even a single screen), been able to grade an image Full screen (Record Monitor style) sound like a nice thing to have... Doesn’t Mamba have this feature? Anyway, take this as a feature request as well.

3 - I’m on the Tangent Element and yes indeed I can go back a forth between clips with the “Prev” and “Next” button the the Mf module. I am referring more to the ability to continuously Jog across clips and the timeline  (and dissolves) in the Visual Editor, sort of like the “Play All” option. Maybe the “Loop” button can be used for enabling this option by adding a couple other modes to it. 

4 - Cool!

Thank again Cristobal 

A

BTW. I have been testing Boutique using assets and the actual cut from a feature-long project I have finish in a different system a few moths ago. Any of these things I talk about in my posts have been a real issue to be able to accomplish any tasks. Further more, been able to not step out of the system to do small none-grading-VFX related tasks is AWESOME! ... not that any of you didn’t know that before ?. Really considering Boutique as a strong option for future projects.

Hi Abel!

You are more than welcome to ask any technical concern. Together we improve the software!

By the way, I am so sorry but I did not attach properly the link to the storyboard tutorials. Here there are: 

Regarding your questions:

1. All feedback from all forums, social networks and emails are being compiled right now. We are writing down a list with all the feature requests. Then a survey will be upload in order to let the people vote what feature should be highlighted as the priority. Be sure that your requests will be well considered!

2. Indeed, Mistika was a software focus for big-budget productions, which were assumed to have external monitors and high-quality industry-standard computers, graphics cards, monitors and so on.  That's the reason we haven't implemented yet features that provide a more user-friendly experience to people that do not have that kind of equipment. However, it's the roadmap we will follow from now on in order to make Boutique a more powerful software. By contrast, Mamba will not continue to be developed in the short term. It does not have that feature since it was focused for one shot at a time solution. 

3. I see, now I understand, sorry for that. That's a feature that's only available right now in the Precision panels. Notwithstanding, as I told you, it will be implemented when we improve the mapping of the tangent. We ask for a bit of patience now since the NAB is taking most of our time.

BTW: It's awesome to have that kind of feedback. I'm so glad you discovered the power of Mistika. Specifically, it shows it's potential for heavy VFX and color grading projects with different and difficult media issues to manage, as well as reviewing, mastering, finishing and a long long long etcetera ? It's much appreciated, thanks a lot for everything! Please contact with our sales agents to find out what special promotions and discounts are available right now!

Kindest regards,

Cristóbal

Gracias Cristóbal,

Getting a better hang of the Storyboard now.

One more question... The Propagate function has the option to do the “Selected” clips. I guess this mean just one clip, as only one can be selected in addition to the Current. Can more clips be interactively selected in the Storyboard to perform the Propagate action. I know there is the “Gang” option, but this requires the Gang to be defined first... just thinking in a fast Select-And-Propagate sort of thing. 

Got some small Gang related feature requests:

- Be able to automatically switch to the clip Gang... if only one is assigned to it.

- Be able to automatically propagate the Color Grade changes to the selected Gang. This could be split into “All Vectors” or “Selected Vectors”. I know this can get complicated as the Propagate action takes into account the selected paramentos within a Vector, but if I know for sure that all the clips will get the exact same grade if could save a bit of time... maybe many bits of time ?

- Maybe not so small... be able to automatically generate Gangs based on certain parameters. This could be Metadata, format, clip color, etc.

Not sure if these make sense... Just thinking loud.

Hi Abel

The Propagate function is very powerful one.

1 - The  “Selected” clips means clips you select on the timeline not on the storyboard.

2 - Regarding the propagate you can choose exactly what parameter to propagate inside of a cooler grade in side a vector inside each param.

if you click the small triangle next to the vector name it opens all the numeric params. and there you can select whichever parameter you want to propagate .

if you select the top most name of the effect were it says colour grade than you can propagate all the effect params from all vectors.

I Just want to make sure you aware of the fact that the propagate function is like copy past wing means if you choose vector 1 it will copy past to vector 1

so bare in mind that if you have 5 vectors on a clip and you propagate from clip with 4 vectors than vector no 5 is untouched. and remain on the colour effect.

the workaround is to make sure before and if so than open a 5th vector with nothing on it and than it will do the job.

hope it helps Yoav

• Thanks 1