Color related questions and suggestions

Aurora Films

Hola!

Here are some questions and suggestions all Color related... not in any specific order.

• Already mentioned in a separate post. Will be great to have dedicated Master controls for RGB adjustment that can be reset independently of individual RGB values.
  • How about a Contrast control with S-Curve option?
  • Will be awesome of the Color Grade node have a Temperature and Tint controls.
  • Is the Color Grade node, aware of the incoming gamma curve? Thinking mostly about how the ranges are defined for better mapping of the Bands sections. I can see an advantage of at least have Video, Log or Linear as predefined presets for this matter.
  • On the same note... something really useful in Nuke’s ColorCorrect node is to have a simple false color visualization of the ranges. This helps to quickly adjust the coverage by just enabling this “Test” mode.
  • Is there any way of doing channel mixing via the Color Grade or any other tool. This is one I miss from other packages like Nuke and Resolve
  • Maximize the RGB Curves interface please. Or at least being able to zoom and pan writhing the current window. I’m aware of the Lo an Hi zoom buttons. Maybe I å don’t know the shortcut to it.
  • More options in the UniColor color spaces. In addition to the current one, we could have more technical spaces like HSL, YUV, LAB. Maybe this could be a separate effect as it use could be related to VFX and compositing. For example, one common process in Compositing to integrate different element is to do chromatic blending independent of luma, by specifically decomposing the YUV components of the streams and mixing them together to get me of a continuous tonal range.

As usual, please keep in mind I’m new to Mistika and may have missed any of this functions already present in the software.

A

Edited by Aurora Films

Hi!

Many of the points that you are indicating here are already covered in the new Color Grade GUI design. For now, we can not show it in an open way as it is still in development but some features like the S-Curve, Tint, Exposure or maximizing the Curves graph. We will do all those features with the new GUI, but by steps. First we will move the current functionalities to the new design and then we will add new features.

The master control that you are asking for doesn't work because it is indeed the same parameter than the RGB parameters. The only difference is that some knobs controls those parameters individually and the other ones in a global way. The same thing happens with the Printer Lights, everything controls the RGB values. We will consider adding master parameters to have more individual control. 

The color grade node doesn't change the behavior depending on the curve. You can change a little bit this behavior with the pivots, but the Grade Node doesn't understand automatically the input curves.

The false color overview is something that we discussed as well for the new design of the Color Grade. It is not going to be done before the other points explained here, but it is definitely on the table.

You can mix and make boolean operation between channels with the Channels FX. It's a multi-input effect, so you can make these operations between two shots.

I am sending the last point to our developers to see what can we do about it.

Thanks for the feedback!

16 hours ago, Aurora Films said:
  • How about a Contrast control with S-Curve option?

Hi Abel,

I want to give you two options that resemble the S-Curve contrast operation in case you find it useful:

First, in Bands you have the Midtone contrast tool.

bands_midtone_contrast.thumb.JPG.f76f66725fc17738c776643163f22006.JPG

In ranges you could play a little bit with the pivot.

Secondly, you have the option of doing it in curves:

Add the five control points that are added when you press "Add Points" and Remove points 2 & 4. You should remain with the two control points of both ends and one in the middle.

Select the middle control point with a selection box and add "Connected Tangents". It's the button called CT just beside the curves. Once with connected curve you can easily add an S-Curve to your images. As this is an RGB operation it will affect both luma and chroma.

curve_addpoint_connectedtangents.thumb.JPG.4fbbe48009d5e519d36947e0e07cb0f5.JPG

If you want to change the "Pivot Point" of this S-Curve operation just constrain the movement of control points in the X-axis and move the point up and down to where you consider necessary.

Cheers,

Paco

Hey thanks so much for the responses. Looking forward for all those changes in upcoming releases.

Francisco, gracias for this and all those videos in Vimeo and YouTube. I which the was better curves controls via the Tangent panel... like able to controls the interpolation tips and tangents of the selected points.

Cheers

Abel

4 hours ago, Aurora Films said:

Hey thanks so much for the responses. Looking forward for all those changes in upcoming releases.

Francisco, gracias for this and all those videos in Vimeo and YouTube. I which the was better curves controls via the Tangent panel... like able to controls the interpolation tips and tangents of the selected points.

Cheers

Abel

Thanks a lot for your nice words regarding the videos. Hope you enjoyed them.

Cheers,

Paco

Yes, click on one of the option to the left of the curves PC0, PC1 & PC3 and click over the image.

PC0 positions the cursor in the curves panel without addind a control point

PC1 adds a control point

PC3 adds 3 points. Normally you would use the middle one and the other 2 as protection.

19 hours ago, agonzalez@sgo.es said:

You can mix and make boolean operation between channels with the Channels FX. It's a multi-input effect, so you can make these operations between two shots.

Maybe I am not understanding the way the Channels effect work, but I don't think it does channel mixing the way I am talking about. I am referring to a way of mixing the weight of each channel over the others. In Nuke is called Colour Matrix, in Resolve RGB Mixer in Photoshop Channel Mixer. 

image.thumb.png.b0d9eed4e7d186da51b6c6990ed26c21.png

In response to this question, there's a quick way of doing this. In the Options tab in the Color Grade, you've got the Channels menu. By default, the three are activated but you can click and select what channel you want to work with.  You can activate only one or two. Or maybe you want to solely with the Luminance or Chrominance. Therefor, you have of the tools inside the Color Grade effect but working with one channel. This tool is really useful when it comes to, for instance, color grade back and white projects. Or maybe you want to use a denoise only in the chrominance.

image.png.1ac44220aa8155af44e1b4dd815cabf0.png

Of course, as Adrian said, you can also isolate each channel with the Channels Effect, and then with a Comp3D and an operation of linear dodge add everything together again. With that operation, you could do chromatic aberrations. 

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Cristóbal