Fixed Vector 'Wishes' Range Selection

JanMaarten

Just a bold wish!  Wouldn't it be nice to have a range selection within the fixed vectors? (see the mockup I made)
Full, High , Mid, Low based on the range selection?

Usercase:
For example when I have a bright yellow object I can tone it down and shift the hue's only in the yellow highlights?
This way I can match the yellow tint with the yellow shade.

I know it can be done with a using a key to select the bright yellows.
But it would be nice if this would be possible in another way.
Also the way without a key gives you the possibility to shift more colours in just one layer.

And if this could translate to LUT exports? ? For Look creation?

1682090462_FixedbyJMdeWitrangescopy.jpg.a8d35142995e1b61d455510ac316e873.jpg

Hi Jan!

Thanks a lot for letting us know your feedback. It's always highly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the possibility to add the Ranges into the Fixed vectors is not present in the development road map in the short term. The workaround to get similar results would be to make selections based on luminance in the Qualifier. 

Regarding the LUT request, it is indeed planned in the medium term :)

Cheers,

Cristóbal

On 10/23/2020 at 12:46 PM, Cristobal Bolaños said:

Unfortunately, the possibility to add the Ranges into the Fixed vectors is not present in the development road map in the short term. The workaround to get similar results would be to make selections based on luminance in the Qualifier. 

Sad to hear, form a colorist point of view it would be such a big addition to the 'Fixed Vectors'

On 10/23/2020 at 12:46 PM, Cristobal Bolaños said:

Regarding the LUT request, it is indeed planned in the medium term ?

Nice! ?

Yes, this is a cool idea. I had a somewhat similar idea, but not with luma ranges, but rather saturation ranges...

Rather than see a histogram in the bottom right, you'd see a vectorscope.

And you could set concentric rings as your low, high, and some kind of falloff / softknee.

It would specify whether the fixed vectors are affecting areas of high, middle, or low saturation.

For instance, imagine you are correcting a shot of Little Red Riding Hood. 

Let's say you want to affect the hue of her hood.

Currently, if you swing the red slider, you'd change the hue of both her skin and costume.

But if you could define the saturation range the fixed vectors affected, you could potential change her face while leaving the hood the same, or vice-versa.

As Cristobal said, you can use the Qualifier for this. But it would be quite fun to have in the fixed vectors, and would be a nice bit of visual consistency amongst the different color tools.

It'd also be nice to just have a little vectorscope there which shows your corrections, similar to how primaries and bands work now.

Potentially this would be a way to get the fixed vectors to work in ACES, as well. You could limit the gamut that's being affected.

And you could have dropdown presets for this, etc.

In any case...obviously no huge urgency for something like this...just fun to think about.

On 10/25/2020 at 7:16 AM, JanMaarten said:

Sad to hear, form a colorist point of view it would be such a big addition to the 'Fixed Vectors'

There are new tools part of  the Fixed Vectors tab, which are about to come and will be really exciting for colorists :)

All the feedback from you guys is taken into account really seriously. I'll gather the information you've mentioned here to add it in the feature request list. The road development map is already fixed for the short term, but I'm sure all your suggestions will be considered.

Cheers,

Cristóbal

• Like 1