Template group not rendering

jan1

Working on another complex grade. Ran into an issue with template groups.

They work really well if you keep your viewing focus on the template instance (top most eval tree layer) and then move your focus up/down to adjust certain elements.

In this case I have a key further down in the eval tree, and that part of the tree doesn't feed into the output (it's meant as a separate key branch to only generate keys). Thus I cannot see the key matte in highlight mode. I would have to double click on the keyer layer to set both viewing and control focus there. That works in a regular eval tree, but if that part of the tree is part of a template group it only shows the placeholder, the template doesn't instantiate. 

Is there any work-around? Is there a reason that the template cannot display the actual images instead of the dummy? 

First screenshot is when the visual focus is further down, second screenshot is if the visual focus is at the top.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.26.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.35.43 AM.png

Edited by jan1
added screenshot
  • Like 1

Hi Jan,

This is the right behaviour, in the sense that when you double click an effect inside a Dummy Group what you are doing is loading the dummies themselves instead of the final result. In other words, you are editing the Dummy Group not the result of the group. What you can do is to create Dummy Groups inside Dummy Groups in those points where you need to preview the result of some specific combination. So for example, in your case, you can create a Dummy Group that contains the Skin Key, the Pre Key and the Dummy 1. The result would be the same, but that Dummy Group will allow you to preview the result of that composition. 

• Like 1