Tangent Mapping Ideas

jan1

I was playing around with the Tangent Mapper for some custom mappings. I think I read in another thread that SGO is considering a new layout.

The one thing that bugs me about the default layout is that for the keyer it's hard to setup the initial values. Specifically with Lum/Sat defaulting to a narrow band and being on separate pages it's too slow to dial in a key. At the same time I love how Mistika uses the track balls in different context to speed things up, like window size and position.

So here is my new Tangent mapping for keyer inputs on the trackballs, extending on the existing Hue Angle. Now it's super fast to setup a new key:

Left Trackball:

• Ring: Hue, L Soft
  • X: Lum Lo
  • Y: Lum Hi
  • Alt-X: Lum Soft Lo
  • Alt-Y: Lum Soft Hi

Center Trackball:

• Ring: Hue Angle (existing)
  • X: Hue Range

Right Trackball:

• Ring: Hue, R soft
  • X: Sat Lo
  • Y: Sat Hi
  • Alt-X: Sat Soft Lo
  • Alt-Y: Sat Soft Hi

Edited by jan1
  • Like 1

Hi Jan!

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Indeed, we've been improving the use of the Tangents panel controls. We've improved the experience for the user to manually map the control as he wishes in collaboration with the tangent mapper software. Resolve, as far we know, does not let you change the mapping. Besides, we are currently mapping the latest Wave2 panel control for new users who have already purchased it.

However, the default mapping is gonna stay. But we can use this thread to talk about possible alternate mappings and maybe upload the files if other users prefer your way. It would be awesome if you share your mapping with us ? You need to open the Tangent Mapper. Then select File > Manage Control Maps. Then select your mapping and click on "Export". It will export an xml file that other users can import to their own tangent mappers software.

On a different topic, I'd also like to add that you can change the sensitivity of the different tools of the panels. If you go to the Set Up menu you can set different sensitivities for the tools of your panel. You can choose between the ball, ring, dial and jog sensitivity.  The smaller number you choose, the more precision of the tool. The bigger the number, the faster it will dial. 

image.png.6e06aad7773a9716c75d4b6610f1cea6.png

• Like 1

Hi Christobal,

Happy to share that mapping with you, and I love the idea of having a few alternate mappings available for download.

Let me play with the mapping a bit more. There are a few other things I found awkward in the default mapping, but not nearly as maddening as the key inputs. Which BTW, I would keep the mapping on the knobs for the keyer, I was just using the trackballs as an alternate input since they were unused in the default mapping in the keyer state.

And you're correct, Resolve does not allow for modifications of the mapping which is a major drag, because their default mapping is quite poor.

Edited by jan1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @cbolanos@sgo.es

Spent some more time playing with the Elements mapping. It's still very much work in progress. Current mapping file attached.

In doing so, I found it easy enough to change the mapping with the Tangent Mapper. But I also found the current Mistika mapping library extremely messy. I think there was some original idea on how to organize it, and then stuff was added in semi-random places. It also doesn't look like it's complete. It would be nice to organize the folders by user interface section (mirroring where things are found in the interface / by mode). And the library changes based by mode, so sometimes it's not clear where to find things.

Some mistakes - the SB 'show more' has a blank label, just able to find it because it was next to 'show less'. There are others like DefaultFx which are all blank.

Things I couldn't find: 'add keyframe' and more importantly some short cuts to frequent fx, such as color. I would be great to stay in edit mode and have a key on the panel to add a color node without having to switch back/forth to FX. Unless there is another trick? I could easily see one of the button panels be populated in the second bank with your 9 most frequent FX nodes. Also, are the entries for the 'Soft Clip' in Primary. I'd love to map the 4th trackball to softclip when it's not used for Jog.

A few things about the changes I made. Above I mentioned the keyer on the trackballs. 

I swapped the history and library buttons to make history available without bank switch. Moved a few of the SB buttons around on the Mf buttons bank to place them all next to each other. That freed up some fields in the 2nd bank of the modes buttons to configure SB/Lib and keep the keyframes.

Overall trying to minimize having to switch banks as much in the way I intuitively work. The default mapping is good, but I find myself having to switch too much.

Hope this helps...

AllKlier R1.xml

Edited by jan1
clarification
  • Like 2

Hi Jan!

This is awesome. It really helps a lot. I could download your mapping, import it to my system and play with it. What's more, I could easily change between the default mapping and your personalized mapping. So thanks for that, we tested and we already know we can share with the community and improve the customization of the user experience.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:57 AM, jan1 said:

But I also found the current Mistika mapping library extremely messy

Regarding this, this is exactly what we are currently developing. We are organizing the tangent mapper in a way that is more intuitive and easy to remap. I'm sorry you had to do it just when it's been done. Hopefully, it will be implemented in the forthcoming betas. So thanks a lot for the feedback, we will take it into account.  Apart from that, I'll look into for the features you're missing in your mapping. Keep in touch!

As always, thanks a lot ?

Cheers,
Cristóbal 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/13/2019 at 8:57 AM, jan1 said:

In doing so, I found it easy enough to change the mapping with the Tangent Mapper. But I also found the current Mistika mapping library extremely messy

Hi Jan!

In the following attached thread you can find the solution for the issue we were talking some time ago regarding the mapping library:

Since you don't have a Wave 2 you'll need to follow only the first three steps to have the latest files for remapping your panels. I'm afraid that your mapping may suffer some changes due to the new library, but it will take just a few minutes to adjust the button functionalities. 

Hope you find it useful! ?

Cheers,
Cristóbal

Hi Cristobal,

Thanks for pointing this out. I saw your other post to Rakesh. Will definitely try it out.

I may also check out the Wave2 mapping. I do have on for my mobile grading setup, but so far I have not run Misitika on it.

Jan

• Like 1