Spanned Media

jan1

I ran into an issue today, checked the manual and didn't find the answer.

I was bringing over a project via AAF from Avid. The media was XDCAM with some longer clips which were split into segments. In Avid using AMA these are automatically concatenated into a single clip. Thus the AAF referred to them with the base name (1st segment). The other segments imported into Mistika as separate .lnk files with the _2, _3, etc. After the conform everything that was past the first segment showed the offline checkerboard not surprisingly.

I tried using the 'Import Sequences' in the media browsers to see if Mistika would recognized the spanned segments, but that didn't work. I guess sequences is only meant for image sequences, where it works fine.

Of course the other solution is to have Avid create a transcode as part of the AAF export, which works for the video, but surprisingly loses the audio files on import. And of course also takes much longer than a linked AAF export.

Any best practices?

Thanks,

Jan

I'm currently importing a number of older projects into Mistika and rendering them back out, mostly to make sure I have the workflow down before I use Mistika on my first client project on a deadline.

In addition to the project above, I ran into trouble on another one. That one was filmed on a Varicam, edited in MC. Very straight forward interview footage and some titles.

Created both AAF export and EDL. Both import fine into Mistika, AAF does a better job with the transitions. On the EDL things get chopped up that requires rework to avoid extra grading.

But the bigger issue is audio. Both imports, when playing them have a severe audio lag. First I thought it may be a delay in my playback, but when I render the timeline out the playback persists, so it's real. I didn't find any parameters to adjust. The audio is just part of the main video files. I checked and there is no sync issue in Avid, so I'm certain the files are good. 

When I look in attributes I see both the proper file listed for video and audio. 

Maybe specific to this particular codec. I'll see if it works better with footage from another camera.

Edited by jan1

Hi are you sending the audio trough  the Aja board or trough the  motherboard?

To confirm If it is a codec issue or not , try to get some footage with any other codec (Prores, Avid mxf, ... ) and see if it also happens.

Then, if  it is an issue of that specific   codec issue   I would recommend to open a support ticket and send a link to one of those files, so it can be further  investigated by Mistila developers 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Javier Moreno said:

Then, if  it is an issue of that specific   codec issue   I would recommend to open a support ticket and send a link to one of those files, so it can be further  investigated by Mistila developers 

Tracked it down and filed ticket. Turns out it wasn't code specific, but for some reason in this particular project Avid included additional audio-sync info which Mistika apparently didn't interpret correctly. Looking at EDL there were several lines labeled '*AUDIO.RTAS'. Once those are removed and EDL reconformed the problem goes away. This also happens in AAF, not just EDL.

• Like 1